Sunday, January 6, 2013

2013 Is Here!

I cannot believe 2013 is already here! And I only posted six times on this blog all of last year! Yikes!

2012 really was wonderful for us, obviously!

Chayton is doing great and is as healthy as a horse. He is growing like a weed and is so tall! It really is hard to believe he will be one year old soon! Our little mister is a happy baby, always smiling and laughing. The sounds of his laughter filling our home is one of the most beautiful sounds in the world.

Winter is here and it is definitely cold. But, what else did I expect? I enjoy Winter, although I do not enjoy driving/working in it and trying to deliver mail without running into someone's mailbox. That has posed quite the challenge. I, of course, have found myself to be more tired, more hungry and just kind of feeling like I want to hibernate. I think to myself around this time, is that even normal? Should I be feeling this "out of it" around this time of year?

Well, I came across an article in my almanac titled, "Hibernation: Embracing Winter" by Susan Pesznecker. If anyone is interested in reading the article, let me know. But, it basically explains how our bodies have been geared for Winter and to feel extra sleepy, extra hungry and just plain "blah," is perfectly normal. Of course, if you have a medical condition or feel like something isn't right with your body (you are your best doctor), then you need to go see your doctor. But, this is what our ancestors did, just relaxed, but also hoped to make it through the Winter alive. They conserved their energy, ate stew that is stocked full of herbs and meats, hunkered down and told stories around their fires to pass the time.

Through the rest of the year, each season had a duty....all in preparing for the long Winter months, ensuring  survival. The Winter was only to survive, build up calories, rest and stay warm. As the article explains, in today's society, we are trained and encouraged to go, go, go and to feel "blah" isn't normal. Then, they are usually fed a pill to fix it all, an "upper." When maybe all that needs to pass is some time, possibly.

I agree with the article, if we accept Winter and accept the way our bodies change in the cold months (if you live in a cold area of the world during Winter), then maybe our minds will change too. We may be tired and eat more, but we may feel better about doing it, more content. It doesn't mean we should do nothing except sleep and eat for the Winter, but becoming more accepting of how we feel and embracing the Winter, as the title states, may be the key. If we hate Winter all Winter, that can make us feel that stress of despise. Change your thought process for Winter. Just try it.

The article suggests:

First prepare our homes magically or spiritually, by smudging sage, cedar or pine and cleaning out any negative space. Usually, no matter what religion you are, there is always a ritual for cleansing your house of anything bad.

Do less. If you can help it, clear out your calendar a little bit and settle in and work on handmade projects (knitting, crocheting, painting, sculpting, etc), read and have family time! Maybe invite family and friends over to play games.

Light candles. Something about the warm glow of a candle with the cold wind outside is very comforting. Bundle up and wear your comfy sweaters and keep throws and blankets out for people (and yourself) to grab when you are chilled. Light a fire if you have a fireplace!

Bring some houseplants home! They are great air purifiers, since we close up our houses for the Winter. Peace lilies, rubber plants and spider plants are excellent air purifiers. If we get a "warm" day in the Winter, throw some windows open and let that fresh air come in, even if it's only for ten minutes.

Burn incense, drink herbal tea, use warm spices in your food. Embrace the spices in the cold!

Eat for the season, the best you can. I enjoy a good juicy orange in January, but it is not seasonal around here. Try baking/buying more breads, grains, and legumes. Warming root veggies like carrots, sweet potatoes, etc., are excellent for keeping you healthy for cold weather. Oatmeal, apples! And don't forget your hot chocolate!

Take care of your body and make sure you keep your skin moisturized! Seems like a no-brainer, but I know a lot of us DON'T always moisturize our skin like we should in the Winter...including me! Warm baths with Eposm salt, olive oil and an essential oil like lavender is nice and calming. Do it once a week if you can!

Get some things done like reading what you have meant to get to one day, learn a new craft, focus on learning more about your religion, whatever it may be, or focus on your spirituality and ways to improve.

But stay active! Slower paced exercises like Yoga or bundling up and taking walks in the snow. It's amazing how beautiful it can be to trek through the snow leisurely (and what a great workout!).

Volunteer. Take care of other people we share Earth with. I am trying to find a soup kitchen where I can volunteer some of my time this season. So many people out there do not have the option of turning the heat up, fixing something on the stove or making their life less difficult.

Celebrate the holidays!! There are many holidays for many religions during the cold season. Have fun and enjoy them!

I think this information was very helpful and makes a lot of sense. I think a lot of it, most of us already do in the Winter. I know we can't completely slow down, as we have jobs, kids have school and we have responsibilities that must be done. But, it's ok to pull some things out of the schedule and relax a little more. Find and respect the rhythm...I think your body and mind will appreciate it.

I know I'm going to try.

No comments:

Post a Comment