Saturday, October 22, 2011

October Is Finally Here...and almost over.

Ooo, the weather was so beautiful today! In between the things I have to get done today, I took my dogs for a walk. Brian has made so many new paths in our forest and it has really made for lovely walking trails. Our dogs love it!

October has been good to us, there were some rainy, cooler days, but in general it has been nice. I love October, it is one of my favorite months, especially since Halloween is in the month.

Brian and I went to a Halloween party last night and it was so fun. He got off work at a sorta decent time and we were able to go. We didn't dress up this year though (we dressed up last year), because with Brian just getting off work, we really didn't have the time. We really had a good time. It was nice to get out and mingle with friends.

Things are going well here at the homestead. We have been getting our house ready for the really cold weather....closing storm windows, Brian caulked some windows, bringing out electric heaters and electric blankets, humidifier, etc. Our house sometimes doesn't hold the heat too well, but with electric heaters, it stays nice and toasty. Plus, propane isn't cheap.

We decorated some pumpkins, which I have yet to take pictures of. We got some ideas from Pinterest, which I posted the ideas I liked in my last blog.

Brian and I watched, "Forks Over Knives" the other night and we loved it. Brian said he really wanted to watch it, so we did. I'm sure many people would roll their eyes when they find out it is about veganism. It does not show animals being slaughtered or anything like that. It talks about health benefits and studies of how a plant based diet can completely improve your health.

There is always that misconception that people think they need meat in their diets. Yes, you need protein, but you do not need meat. It is very difficult for people to grasp that because we have been made to believe that...along with dairy. But, it is all in a person's decisions. They can live their life how they would like to.

However, I cannot stand when people argue with me about me being a vegetarian. How does that affect other people's eating habits? I don't say a thing when people are eating meat. In fact, I prepare meat regularly for people. Why argue with me about what I put in my body? Then, I love how people tell me that vegetarians do not get enough protein and vitamins. Really? Well, I'm in very good health and I'm told my blood pressure is that of a teenager (I'm almost 30 years old). How is your blood pressure?

Yes, there are plenty of healthy meat eaters and plenty of healthy vegetarians too. Then, there are plenty of unhealthy meat eaters and plenty of unhealthy vegetarians (I like to call them the "french fry" vegetarians). But, if someone has many health problems, what would it hurt to turn to a plant based diet or at least mainly a plant based diet for a few months? Couldn't hurt. And if it doesn't work and make a person feel better, go back to eating meat. No biggie.

But, please, be kind to vegetarians if they are kind to you....don't give them a hard time. If you run into a vegetarian that is just obscene and annoying, that are on their "soap box," just ignore them, you probably won't get a word in edgewise anyway.

But, the smart vegetarians/vegans know how to maintain their health and get all the right nutrients, instead of eating junk food all the time....which anyone should know that eating junk food all of the time is not a good life choice anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment